Cheers from Portland, Oregon

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hello,
      My name is Jeremy Wayne. I live in St Helens, Oregon, about 25 minutes from downtown Portland. This year I will co-lead the Portland TOLI Regional Seminar with my partner Carrie McCallum. I am a bit nervous and very excited at the same time! Together we have four children, my step-kids. Tacy is 20, attending Southern Oregon University and majoring in the unknown. Hallie graduates high school in 5 weeks and will be studying Early Childhood Education at Western Oregon University in the fall. Nicholas (Nico) will be a Junior in high school next year and is currently playing Varsity Tennis. This afternoon, we will celebrate my birthday with our blended families coming together to cheer for Nico!

I own two huskies, a Malamute named Kenai and a Siberian named Tara. They look menacing, but they are super friendly to humans. Plus, my cat Ollie has long since put them in their place.

I am currently teaching Advanced Math at St Helens High School. It is a far cry from my college degrees and passions, but it pays the bills while await a social science opening. Study of the Holocaust, Genocide, and Social Injustice has been a passion of mine since I was in high school. My initial major was Philosophy, then Religious Studies, before settling on History and Political Science. My hope as an educator is to show students that compassion, acceptance, and kindness can and will lead us away from the most terrible of crimes. Teaching the Holocaust is vital as we attempt to navigate the forces of Nationalism, Anti-Semitism, and divisiveness in the United States and throughout the world.

In our upcoming regional seminar, we will extend our focus to the Native American/First Peoples experience in Oregon. As a solidly blue state, many residents here are not aware of the deep-seeded history of white supremacy and cultural genocide. As an Alaskan Native, I have been invested in creating curriculum that allows students to access our Tribal History and Shared History.

I was in New York City last year and was unfortunate enough to come down with Covid. This year I am very excited to join the group!

Jeremy Wayne

Hi Jeremy,
      Great to read your profile, and I’m sorry to hear you had COVID last year. Good luck with the upcoming TOLI seminar. I look forward to meeting you in NYC.
      -Sandy

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.