Cheers from the Mile High

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Greetings! My name is Kelly Feinstein-Johnson and I hail from just outside of Denver/Boulder, Colorado. I’m looking forward to meeting everyone in person and getting to spend sometime on the lower east side. My family settled there when they immigrated in 1905 and opened a grocery on 59 Sheriff St, near East River Park.

I have a PhD in European History from UC Santa Cruz and now teach APUSH and Theater in a small public charter in Broomfield, CO. Although I grew up hearing Holocaust stories from within my community, my scholarly (and personal) relationship to the Holocaust was transformed when I took a class on gender and the Holocaust (Scripps and Pitzer Colleges). I turned to studying the Holocaust, European, and Jewish history as an undergrad (Scripps College) and as a minor field w/in my PhD. I currently teach a 3-week mini-unit about the Holocaust within my APUSH class and have been trying to get enough enrollment to teach a senior seminar “Comparative Genocide”. I am a member of Colorado Holocaust Educators and am very excited to bring my experiences from TOLI back to Colorado.

I am also the lead director and choreographer for our HS theater program. I’ve been dancing since I was 3 (tap, jazz, ballet, modern, swing) and am fortunate to be able to combine my two passions in my professional life. This year, we just finished a production of “Fiddler on the Roof”, which offered a really unique experience to tie together the history of the pogroms, US immigration, pre-Holocaust history, and current events in Ukraine.

Outside of teaching, I love hiking, running, rock climbing, and knitting. I live with my partner, Luke (optical engineer for giant ground-based telescopes), and our two kids – Kai (10-into Pokemon, Magic the Gathering and D&D), and Freya (8 – into cats, music, dragons, Legos and minecraft).

Hi Kelly,
      You (and so many others in this cohort) have a lot more experience with Holocaust education than I do. I’m starting to feel inadequate! Your proposed course in comparative genocide sounds really interesting and I’d like to hear more about it when we gather in June.
      On a different note, I love swing dance! (and salsa, and tango, waltz, etc.) I took ballroom dance classes in college. Alas my husband, though wonderful in many ways, is no dancer, so I’ve become quite rusty.
      Looking forward to meeting you in person,
      Leslie

Hi Kelly! I love that you are a part of the Colorado Holocaust Educators group. I have been to Boulder and Denver to train with Todd and the Yahad group (Ewa, etc.) with HBB. I teach the HBB and IBD by Fr. Desbois in my senior Holocaust course. Todd always keeps me in the loop even though I live in St. Louis. I am curious about your senior seminar of “Comparative Genocide”. What genocides will you be featuring? We have a Voices of Human Rights course at our school that looks at Cambodia, Bosnia, and Rwanda. I look forward to chatting with you!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.