Hello from central Texas!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hello!

My name is Michele Reed and I live in Cedar Park, Texas, which is just north of Austin. I share my home with my husband, Richard, our two sons Bryan (20) and Bradley (16), and our dog, Gracie. Bryan is totally into guitars and heavy metal, while Bradley is obsessed with niche fragrances and body building. They are polar opposites! Richard and I will be celebrating our 23rd wedding anniversary on May 20th with out favorite event—a delicious meal that someone else cooks! 🙂

I am currently an Instructional Coach at a middle school in Leander ISD and previously taught grades 4, 5, 6, 7, & 8 English/Language Arts & Reading. This is my first year in this position, and it has been a wonderful year of learning and supporting teachers.

I am drawn to the work of teaching about the Holocaust and human rights for several reasons. As a brand new teacher years ago, I was instructed to teach The Diary of Anne Frank Drama. In planning for and teaching that unit, I realized how much I didn’t know about how to teach this topic to 13 year olds. This drove to to research and teach myself how to make this learning meaningful. In that time of learning, I was able to attend the Belfer Conference at the USHMM ad then become a Museum Teacher Fellow. Throughout this course of time, I also began to broaden my knowledge of human rights movements and violations from the past as well as current events. Our students really will change the world; I hope to help them learn from the past and fight for the future. My work in this field is just a small contribution to their growth.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone in person! It has been a long 3 years online!!! 🙂

Happy early anniversary, Michele! I look forward to meeting you face to face this summer!

Hello Mary,
      Great to read your updates. Your sons do sound like they are opposites. We have a few things in common – teaching middle school, literacy, being instructional coaches, and teaching Anne Frank. I look forward to connecting in person and having time to talk about our shared interests and experiences.
      Sandy

Hello Mary,
      Great to read your updates. Your sons do sound like they are opposites. We have a few things in common – teaching middle school, literacy, being instructional coaches, and teaching Anne Frank. I look forward to connecting in person and having time to talk about our shared interests and experiences.
      Sandy

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.