Hello from the cornfields of Ohio

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hi everyone. My name is Misty Ebinger. I am a social studies teacher at New London High School, in New London, Ohio. NLHS is a small public school that graduates about 65 students each year and is literally surrounded by cornfields (my students want me to explain that sometimes it’s soybeans). I have been teaching for 21 years and have taught a Holocaust and Genocide Studies class for 10 years. I have had an interest in the Holocaust since reading “Night” in high school. My interest grew after attending a summer institute at Gratz College in Philadelphia in 2013 when I met a Holocaust survivor for the first time. Since then I have actively tried to learn as much as I can and share with as many people as possible.

I have been blessed to travel to Holocaust sites in Germany and Poland with the Holocaust and Jewish Resistance Teachers Program, and last summer I attended the Advanced Learning Seminar with Echoes and Reflections at Yad Vashem in Jerusalem. After returning from the TOLI seminar this summer, I will travel to Armenia as a teacher fellow with the Genocide Education Project. These experiences have been valuable as I become a more active member of Ohio’s Holocaust and Genocide Education Network.

I am also our school’s yearbook advisor and a track and field coach – spring is a very busy time! I live with my husband, Eric, and our boxer dog, Dulles (yes, named for President Eisenhower’s Secretary of State – that should tell you a bit about our hobbies). We love history, travel, reading, and running races for which we haven’t properly trained. I am very excited to meet and learn from everyone. I am particularly interested in expanding my knowledge of immigration and human rights issues and incorporating them in my classroom.

Misty! My niece and nephew live in a small town in Montana…my nephew has 7 students in his class. Small schools have a lot of benefits. I am in a school with about 1700 students (about 400/class). I can’t wait to meet you and talk history, dogs, and books (I love historical fiction)!

Hello Misty! I am very excited to hear more about your travels. I am in awe, and a bit jealous, that you get to teach a Holocaust and Genocide Studies class. The opportunities that you have had to travel and study are incredible. I look forward to learning from you!

Hi Mary! I am very blessed to have had some wonderful opportunities. Traveling definitely inspires me. I am also very lucky to have had support from my admin and community to teach a stand-along Holocaust and Genocide Studies class. Looking forward to meeting you, too!

Hello Misty,
      It sounds like you have had a number of impactful experiences with teaching and learning about the Holocaust. Thank you for your commitment to this work. I never heard of the Genocide Education Network, and I look forward to learning more about all of your work.

I also love to race, and I often feel unprepared at times too. At other times, I am super prepared.
      Sandy

Hi Sandy. The Holocaust and Genocide Education Network is the new name for the Ohio Council on Holocaust and Genocide Education. Our governor created a commission a few years with a very similar name, so we decided to rebrand ourselves. Love to talk to you more in NY about racing!

Hello, Misty!
      I look forward to meeting you and learning from you, especially more about how you have been able to enhance your students’ learning with the experiences you have had visiting sites in Europe.
      Looking forward,
      Barb

Definitely, I look forward to meeting you, too.

Hi Misty! You have been quite the traveler! I traveled to Poland with Yad Vashem in 2019 and cannot say enough wonderful things about their programming. When you were in Jerusalem, was Sheryl Ochayon your guide? I hope to apply to the program next summer. I was also looped into the study of the Holocaust when I was in high school when we read Night. I would love to hear about your course that you taught for 10 years. I look forward to meeting you!

Hi Kelly – Yes, Sheryl was our director, along with Sarah Levy. They are the best. We still email each other regularly. I highly recommend the Advanced Learning Seminar. It was a life-changing trip. I will be glad to talk to you more about the course I teach. I’m looking forward to meeting you, too.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.