Looking at Perl & Krug Together

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Through writing and creative expression, both Perl and Krug have addressed head on the dark shadow cast on their families by the Holocaust. With great sensitivity, they both have demonstrated how the trauma of one generation haunts the next. As someone of mixed race, Native American and White, I can relate to their struggles and greatly admire how they have articulated their journeys to understand and heal. My mother’s Potawatomi grandfather was a victim of the forced boarding/residential schools. While my mother shared some details with me before her passing in January 2021, she never wanted to really talk about it. In fact, she used to always say, “When I am ready to talk about it, I will tell you more.” However, sadly, she never was able to tell me more, partly because she kept postponing the discussion and partly because she developed dementia. I am grateful that more and more attention is finally being drawn to the boarding/residential school scandal as it allows me to appreciate a bit better my mother’s family history. Perl and Krug have inspired me to not give up on the processes of understanding.

When reflecting on these books together, I found a strong relationship between the two. What stands out to most to me is The power of personal narrative that leaves a reader and the persons in the stories with a feeling empathy, compassion and understanding. Both stories started with a perspective that were challenged and through empathy, compassion and understanding their perspectives changed.

In addition, both of these books opened my eyes to aspects of the Holocaust that I never knew. The generational stories that are told that still linger have left fear, resentment and shame that still lives in people today. This is something that I never thought about myself. I appreciate and have a better understanding of those that have been impacted by the Holocaust, either directly or indirectly.

Yes, I truly love personal narratives – they are so powerful. It is too bad and so sad that you were not able to get the stories from your mother, Eileen, but I also understand how hard it can be for people to retell a story that is filled with such pain.

Heather – So agree with you about generational stories. Would love to do a student activity that encourages the writing of inter-generational stories.

Mary – Although I continue to miss my mother deeply, I have been connecting with her younger sister who, as opposed to my mother, is mentally sharp as a tack but physically disabled and legally blind. She listens to CNN everyday and when I call her, she gives me the full run down of the day’s news followed by stories of her and my mother.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.