Reflecting on Sondra Perl’s “On Austrian Soil”

Forums 2023 Summer Seminar On Austrian Soil 2023 Summer Seminar Responses: due MAY 30 Reflecting on Sondra Perl’s “On Austrian Soil”

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Sondra Perl’s memoir, “On Austrian Soil: Teaching Those I Was Taught to Hate,” has left a profound impact on me as a Holocaust educator. In her poignant narrative, Perl fearlessly confronts the atrocities of the Holocaust while challenging her own biases and prejudices. Her journey serves as a powerful reminder of the weighty responsibility we bear as educators to foster empathy and understanding among our students.

One aspect of Perl’s exploration that resonated deeply with me is her examination of the complexities inherent in teaching about the Holocaust. She skillfully captures the paradoxical nature of this subject matter—teaching about hatred while also teaching about love. This paradox underscores the transformative power of education in dismantling deep-seated prejudices and inspiring compassion even in the face of immense suffering. It reinforces the profound influence educators have in shaping the worldview of their students and cultivating a sense of social responsibility.

Moreover, Perl’s memoir highlights the significance of personal narratives in understanding history. Through sharing her own story and that of her family, she humanizes the victims and survivors of the Holocaust, reminding us that behind the cold statistics and historical accounts are real lives, real pain, and real resilience. This powerful emphasis on personal narratives aligns with my belief in the potency of storytelling as a means to foster empathy and promote understanding. It further strengthens my commitment to incorporating diverse narratives into my teaching practice, allowing students to see themselves reflected in the stories we explore while encouraging them to embrace the stories of others.

Reading “On Austrian Soil” prompted profound introspection regarding our own identities and the intricate ways in which our pasts shape our present. Perl’s memoir serves as a reminder that we are all products of complex historical, cultural, and familial influences. Acknowledging and understanding these influences can deepen our capacity for empathy and compassion toward others. It reinforces the notion that Holocaust education is not solely about conveying historical facts, but also about inviting students to reflect on their own identities and encouraging them to contribute to a more inclusive and just world.

As a Holocaust educator, “On Austrian Soil” has reignited my dedication to teaching this critical period in history. Perl’s personal journey and her unwavering commitment to confronting the painful truths of the Holocaust have reinforced the importance of creating a safe and inclusive learning environment. Her emphasis on empathy, critical thinking, and the power of education to combat hatred and prejudice has invigorated my approach to Holocaust education.

I am now more resolute than ever in guiding my students through an exploration of this dark chapter in history, nurturing their understanding of the past and cultivating their commitment to building a more compassionate and just future. Perl’s memoir has become a guiding light, inspiring me to instill in my students the courage to confront difficult truths, embrace diversity, and work towards a world free from the atrocities of the past.

Hi Eduardo,
      I see that you are from Florida, where the “Woke” act could tempt teachers to steer clear of controversial topics for fear of being sued for causing guilt or anguish among some students. I think the idea of using personal narratives is a great and powerful “work around” to that law: students sharing their stories, hearing the stories of others, developing empathy, considering other perspectives, etc. I look forward to hearing more about how you use/plan to use personal narratives in your teaching, and, in general, what it’s like to teach in Florida (I live in a very blue city in a blue state).
      -Leslie

Hi Eduardo,
      So glad that my teaching memoir spoke to you and that you are inspired to continue the good fight in Florida. As Leslie has written, it’s not an easy place to be a teacher these days although, of course, you are not alone and others in your cohort have also had to figure out how to be human beings in their classrooms when parents and laws are against any talk that is controversial or might make students uncomfortable. Lots to share soon.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.