Krug and Perl

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I enjoyed and learned from both selections. Both authors eloquently share their personal experiences through written and graphic narratives. Both women are vulnerable and open to what the discoveries in both Germany and Austria will bring to both of their lives and their family histories. We clearly hear their authentic voices which draws readers closer to them. Sondra’s journey began with the statement of belief that ” Germans/Austrians are evil.” While Krug’s journey began with an exploration of her history–but also in contrast–the beginning of her graphic narrative asked the question “Are Jews evil?”. I appreciated the multitude of perspectives. It is essential when studying the Holocaust.

Sondra explores her narrative as an educator, and her writing reflects a place of learning and growing. Krug explores her narrative as a woman without solid grounding in her family’s history and the place she should call home. Both women encounter people in Austria and Germany who do and do not want to delve into the past or discuss what has happened. Yet, both writers continue to pursue knowledge and answers to long held fears, beliefs, and possible misconceptions. They push themselves and others to confront, attempt to understand, take responsibility for a complex history that continues to perplex and inform us about humanity. In the process of reading both narratives, we are able to learn about the complexities of all human beings and the conversations that can transform all of us.

Kelly,
      I especially like what you stated here: both writers continue to pursue knowledge and answers to long held fears, beliefs, and possible misconceptions. They push themselves and others to confront, attempt to understand, take responsibility for a complex history that continues to perplex and inform us about humanity.”
      This notion of pursuing answers not only for ourselves, but for others is often considered dangerous and threatening, no?! Hence, we have book banning, narrow and limited teaching standards, whitewashing of history, a stranglehold on seeing and celebrating identity…….
      Let us be and do better…

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.