My reflection

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

“I began to hate the mords – the Germans, the Austrians, the Poles – anyone who participated in the destruction. I began to hate God for allowing it to happen. And, I think, I also began to hate myself” (p.25)

I was very touched by this passage, because in lessons about the Holocaust and other crimes, we ask ourselves who will sue evil, who is man, and is there a God? These are fundamental issues that I have to talk about as a teacher. What is needed here is the competence of a good listener and a facilitator who will not judge anyone. That’s why it’s important what Ashley wrote to create a safe space for our students to express themselves, to ask tough questions, to rebel, and to disagree.

Jakub,
      I connect with your words about being a good listener and facilitator who will not judge. It is a challenge in today’s world, in a polarized society. Thank you for putting words to this complicated idea.
      Barb

Yes, these ideas go to the heart of the issue. Thanks for pausing to think about this. Til soon…

Yes, these ideas go to the heart of the issue. Thanks for pausing to think about this. Til soon…

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.