On Austrian Soil Reflection

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I read this book a few years ago (pre-pandemic) and I went back to look at my notes and highlights in the book. I realized what resonates with me until this day is two things. First I think of the danger of a single story and second is don’t judge a book by its cover.
      Adchie’s danger of a single story is a teaching tool I use in my high and university classes frequently. It exposes the dangers of having only one viewpoint of story. Although not exactly the same as this book, I couldn’t stop thinking about if both sides were informed of the others perspectives the pre-conceived notions that both sides had prior would have not be a topic at all.
      As for my second point, don’t judge a book by it’s cover, I think about my students and the stories they have that I don’t know about. I know that many students come to me with an idea of who I am as a person and most times are presently surprised at the fact that what they knew or heard about me was not even remotely true. I am a firm believer that all educators should get to know their students, their stories so that trust can begin to build and a productive learning environment is created.
      I can’t tell you how many times I have talked about this book with people. The story is so interesting and honestly one that is not talked about in my circles. The people always walk away with a new outlook on being informed. I wish we could have everyone in the world understand the importance of just that!

Thank you Heather. I think for a while, people associated Adichie’s expression to the African continent. I am glad you apply it in your practice at this level. I think it’s eqully applicable to ideas and concepts we teach in our classrooms.

Thanks for your response, Heather, and for sharing the relevance of OAS with others. It means a great deal to me. See you soon!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.