Belonging: Nora Krug

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

My first impression of Nora’s graphic format of her kourney is that it is accessible. Reading conventional text formats can be a barrier to great literature for many people including our students.
      I immediately identified with Nora’s story, because I saw myself in it. I came to this country soon after I was released from prison, and I could not return for mearly 20 years. When I first dared to go home, I could not recognise my younger siblings at the airport.

There is a certain longing for the “Heimat” regardless of the unpleasant memories that lives in you, as Nora shows in her investigative journey to unstand her identity. Through her journey to this “Place” Nora feels, sees, hears, and imagines her family as perpetrators in the Holocaust. She is most truobled by the silence.

Nora’s curiousity about her family’s past in Germany is a testiment to the trauma that continues to hunt poeple of German descnet redardless of how far removed from the Holocaust. Nora is determined to know why her family is silent about the Holocaust, and thrugh her jiurney, she is able to reckon with her family’s history and complicity during the Holocaust.

Momodou,
      I agree that Kurt’s story is highly accessible. I keep thinking of the different ways people/students can and will connect with this. I think it has the potential to inspire others to tell their stories, as well as pushing us to think about how we tell our stories.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.